Monday, July 18, 2016

Ah.....

I used to think that if I were off of social media I'd be missing something.  Now I know the truth:  While I was on social media, I was missing everything.  

What a time to be off of social media. Orlando, Philando Castle, Alton Sterling, Dallas, Nice, Turkey and now the GOP convention.  
Insane.

Every week I don't think things can get any weirder, more divisive, violent and uncertain, and then it does.  But I have to tell you, not being in the echo chamber of opinion has given me a deep sense of calm and sanity.  Voices from all sides are no longer occupying the sacred space between my ears.
I can choose to watch what is going on in the world, or not.  And if I do, I feel no obligation to have an opinion within 15 nanoseconds of the event.  I can let hours, days and weeks go by so I can chew on things, taste and savor what is real and not about it all, and digest the events and integrate them into my worldview, not the world's world view.

It's really lovely out here on the porch.
I hope you come by, have a lemonade and sit a spell.


8 comments:

  1. Nice to read your words....nice to hear your voice....miss you.

    Took a nice Yoga class today....good for my soul. I was nicer the rest of the day. Hugs. Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear YOUR voice. Yoga makes me nicer too. And calmer. I owe myself a few classes this week. I've started some high-intensity interval training to jump start my metabolism. It's working!

      hugs,
      Kel

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful, courageous and SANE thing to do--taking time off social media. Good for you, girl! Hope you have a rocking chair on your porch. Would love to sit with you and not have an opinion for awhile :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ***pats chair*** I'm here when you're ready.

      Miss you!

      Delete
  3. So much truth in what you said about the obligation to have an immediate opinion and share it with the world on social media. What's up with that pressure?! Thanks for these words. I will continue to grieve over these tragedies in my own way, while posting pics of Fairy Glens, flower gardens, and my grandchildren playing in my home. Wish I could join you on your porch for lemonade, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have both wrapped the green of the glens deep into the strands of our hearts and souls.

      xo
      K

      Delete
  4. Yeah, I spend a lot of time on my stoop...why I bought the house... thanks for letting me read your stuff

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good read. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete