Thursday, November 05, 2009

Limelight Fears

Last night I shared the stage with my father at the Actor Gang's WTF? Festival. I screened by dad's favorite of his HBO specials, "Jammin' in NY," and then read from his memoir, "Last Words." Then I read a few of my own stories about my childhood.

For years, I have been reading these and other stories about my life around Los Angeles at different spoken word venues. I did these essays as a side dish to my life. Never taking them or myself very seriously. I didn't want them upsetting the apple cart - my relationship with my father. You see, he was a little uncomfortable with my chosen art form. It made him nervous that I stripped myself naked, metaphorically speaking, and spoke of the confusion, hopes and miracles that make up my life. He wanted to protect me from some kind of unknown harm - critics? The artist's life? The impossible life in the limelight?

Thanks to the community of friends and artists I now find myself immersed in, I am taking my art form and myself more seriously these days. They have been telling me to take the stage more often, and so I am finally listening to them and to my heart that has been telling me for years that I belong on a stage, telling my stories and speaking about how I see the world.

Identity is bullshit ultimately. Who I see myself as is, in the big picture, meaningless. But in other ways it is essential to make an X on the ground and say, "Here I stand. And from here I will do this." And so, I will take my mark. Stand my ground and go out and speak my truth. I mean after all, that is what the old man taught me everyday of HIS life.

10 comments:

  1. Yay Kelly... I think you might be the living hope of George Carlin.. the one he didn't want us to know existed still in him... eternal ... light... continuing questioning it all sister xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks guys! I feel like a sea creature learning to walk on land.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a total random note that I wanted to send you in an email but couldn't find your address:

    I received a Borders rewards email this morning and the subject is "40% off the new George Carlin" I got all excited and was like, "Hey I know Kelly!" It's like you're a celebrity :~) I feel like such a dork because I really don't know anything about your dad. But, I think you're cool and I can't wait to buy your book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. " By the strength of my arm, by the sight of my eyes,
    By the skill of my fingers, I swear,
    As long as life dwells in me, never will I
    Follow any way but the sweeping way of the wind.”

    Kel Car be wrapped in blessings and hoping the best for you. Your courage and heart will take you far. . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my mind you're my Pollyanna Mind Consortium because you're delightful, positive, seeking, caring, and typically and classically all that is truly good in this life... without a doubt.. Peace. Love. --Sally xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your stories and thoughts contain the wit and wisdom of your father.In the audio version of "Last Words",Patrick Carlin did an outstanding job.He hit it out of the park. Your interview with Tony Kendra is so valuable and I wish it could have gone on much longer.My wish is that you could tap into the many thoughts that George has saved on his computers and put them in your words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Identity is bullshit ultimately. Who I see myself as is, in the big picture, meaningless. But in other ways it is essential to make an X on the ground and say, "Here I stand. And from here I will do this." And so, I will take my mark. Stand my ground and go out and speak my truth. I mean after all, that is what the old man taught me everyday of HIS life."

    So true, and so well said. Hope you keep updating this year. Look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I miss you.... its a dark, cold world sometimes... but I'm grateful you are here; because you are so real... you light my way... hope you post again soon... eternally yours in Gemini madness and confusion xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing your journey of grief with those of us who feel the loss of your father's unique and entertainingly shared perspective. As a fan I miss his presence in the larger world, but as his only child you feel his absence as none other... may peace be with you. Also, the Force, because, well, it couldn't hurt.

    ReplyDelete